Friday, June 28, 2013

RIP Bert Stern

There are many reasons to admire and mourn the loss of photographers who have come before us, and shaped the art of photography.  For me, it's often about their creative boldness, so often forgotten when, over time, what was once bold becomes commonplace.

As a way to remember Bert Stern, a quote about him I read in the NYT sums it up for me:

"In a statement considered provocative in its day, Mr. Stern told a panel of commercial artists in 1959, 'I like to put my feelings into my photographs.'"

So hard, if not impossible, to imagine how people once considered something like that provocative.   But just because today we all know about using our feelings, doesn't mean we try hard enough to actually do it.  It's good to be reminded to do so while we still can.