Saturday, March 23, 2013

In The Mood

-->

Low contrast, especially in black and white, has been popular for a while now, and I’ve messed around with it a bit, thinking it looks cool and interesting.  But I was never happy with the results, probably because I didn’t have a true feel for what it was all about.
But then I saw this photo:
 And for whatever reason, low contrast, for me, finally clicked.  I see it as casting a pensive, calm mood—sort of like cool, blue light can.   Not too many people are having a wild party in light like that.  Nor are they reading.  No, light like that is good for thinking profound, maybe even aching thoughts.  
Maybe that’s obvious to most people; I don’t know.  All I do know is, I didn’t grasp it at first.  Which is why just messing around with low contrast didn’t really work.   Like any element of a photo, the level of contrast needs to be chosen for a reason.  “Because I just saw a photo that had it and I think it looks good” is not enough of a reason.  It's a start, but not anywhere near an end.  Better to dig deeper, with thoughts of things like creating a party mood, or a manly mood, or a feminine mood, or a pensive mood.
Sometimes, maybe you have to be in the mood to be in the mood.
 (photo: Dafne Cejas by Josefina Bietti in “Black and White” for Fashion Gone Rogue)